Top Ten Smart Home Lighting Review for 2021
Smart home devices are getting more popular with each passing day. Using voice assistants to control your home is becoming the new norm, and no one wants to fall behind. It is not just a trend. The smart device makes life so much easier and simple. Setting them up is easy as well.
The first thing you want to do when you set out to create your own smart home is to change the lights to smart lights. However, there are a lot of smart home lighting options to choose from, and it is not an easy job picking the right ones to fit your needs. There are a few criteria you need to focus on when choosing the best smart home lighting.
If you want to turn your home into a fully functional smart home, you need a hub for smart devices. But do not worry, you can get smart lights for your home even if you do not own a hub.
You can control the smart light straight from your phone. And if you own a hub, you can connect the light to the hub and control it like other smart devices. Our recommendation is, you should get a hub as it is essential for any functional smart home.
Things to Consider Before Buying smart home lighting
There are three ways you can set up smart lightings in your home.
- Smart Lights for Smart Homes
Smart lights are the lights themselves that can be turned on or off using your smartphone. All you need to do to set smart lights up is to change your existing ones and to screw these in.
- Smart Plugs for Smart Home Lighting
There are two ways you can set smart home plugs up. First, you can plug these into your existing wall sockets. Or, you can change the wall sockets in your home and set up these smart outlets.
Either way, you can turn these smart plugs on and off using your phone. So, whatever is connected to these outlets, including lights, can be turned on or off.
- Smart Light Switches for smart home
If you already have a lot of expensive hardware set up in your home and you do not want to change them just yet. This is the perfect solution that is very cost-effective and will save you money. These switches will turn all your expensive LED bulbs into smart bulbs.
Here are our picks for the best ten smart lighting devices.
Best 10 Best Smart Lighting: Our Picks And Recommendations
Best 1 of 10.
Best Overall Smart Home Lighting
Philips Hue White Dimmable LED Smart Bulb
Led Lights for TV, 9.2ft TV Backlight with Voice Control, Music Sync
- Voice and App Control: Say Goodbye to the Remote Controller, after connect to 2.4GHz WiFi (Not Support 5GHz Network). Smart led strip lights work with Alexa and Google home. You can control the ambient lighting at anytime anywhere with App. Set dynamic scene in App.
- Sync with Music: LED lights for TV with highly sensitive microphone located in the controller to recognize the sound it hears, Sync bias lighting to your favorite song and shows how neon changing with the rhythm. Create romantic, festive atmosphere for events like Halloween Christmas Valentine.
- DIY Colors: Color changing RGB LED strip lights has 16 million changing colors with brightness and saturation controls, best choice of TV accessories, you can choose your favorite color. But, No White color.
- Eye Protection: The Alexa smart led strip lights can lighten the television with dimmable light to reduce eye damage caused by TV screen concentrating and soothe eye fatigue.
- Easy Installation: Our Tv led backlightare install and use easily.
- It can be controlled using Alexa.
- Easy to install.
- It lasts a long time.
- Connects to Hue dimmer, tap and motion sensors.
Philips Hue has become the most formidable competitor in the smart lighting scene. Their quality of smart lighting products is always on top of the competition.
The Philips Hue bulbs are a bit pricy for everyday consumers. However, the quality their bulbs deliver is worth the price you are paying for them.
The Philips Hue White Dimmable LED Smart Bulb can be voice-controlled with the full kit. If you want to control it using your voice, you need a smart hub and an Alexa device. The Philips Hue Hub is a pretty good choice if you want an overall Hue experience.
All you need to do is connect the bulbs to your light sockets and plug in the Hue bridge. Then connect the bridge to your Wi-Fi router using the cables that are provided. After that, all that is left to do is download and connect the Philips Hue app.
The Philips Hue smart lights last over 20 years. In other words, you can use them for over 25,000. The bulbs may be pricy but consider them a one-time investment.
Best 2 of 10.
Best Multi-colored Smart Home Lighting
LIFX 1100 Lumen A19 Multi-colored Smart Bulb
Smart WiFi LED Floor Lamp, Sky LED Torchiere Tall Standing Lamp for Reading Living Room Bedroom, Color Changing Dimmable Smart Lamp Works with Alexa Google Home, Super 2000LM, APP&Touch Control, Black
- 【DIY Unique Lighting Atmosphere for You Space】- Brightever smart floor lamp can be controlled in three ways, including Smart Life APP, touch control and voice control. No matter which mode you choose, you can create glamorous lighting effects for you sweet home. Smooth 0%-100% brightness adjustment and 2700K-6500K color temperature are waiting for you to explore. Surprisingly, the floor lamp works well with Alexa and Google Home. So you also can control the lamp via voice in a simple manner.
- 【Multiple Colors and Scene Modes for You】- With advanced led technology, this upgraded floor lamp offers 16 million colors and multiple scene options to you. Therefore, one floor lamp can meet your various needs. No matter you want to relax yourself after a day of tired work, hold an exciting party with family and friends, or decorate your lovely home for special occasions, this multifunctional floor lamp must be your best choice, which will serve as your excellent lighting assistant.
- 【Gaily Dance to All Music Beats And Sounds】- With its embedded music modes design, this floor lamp can be synced with your favourite songs and all sounds, including video games and films. Its color will change along with the rhythm of the songs. Therefore, it can serve as your caring dancing partner to help you warm up the atmosphere.
- 【Simple Timing And Convenient Memory Function】You can set a timer for this lamp via the Smart Life App, which will offer much more additional convenience to you daily life. For example, when you are reading at night, you can set a timer, based on which the lamp will automatically turn off in case you fall asleep without switching off the lamp, leading to much energy waste. Surprisingly, it can stay at the brightness and color you set last time. So you don’t need to set those again and again.
- 【Worry-free to Buy】- Brightever is always committed to offering premium products and services to our consumers. We highly value the advice and support of consumers. So we are always here to assist you for any questions or suggestions
- It provides incomparable brightness.
- Incredibly easy to set up.
- It does not require a hub to work.
- The multicolour option provides the mood.
The functionality of bulbs has not changed for some years, because they do not provide lights to the sides. LIFX brings a new smart light to the market that provides lights to every side.
The LIFX 1100 Lumen A19 light provides a power of 1100 lumen. In other words, it is the most powerful smart light bulb in the market right now. No other light provides such a bright light, and it is above the competition in this field.
It works with Amazon Alexa devices that allow you to control the light using your voice. You can dim, change shades, change colours, and turn the light on and off using Alexa.
The LIFX 1100 Lumen does not require a hub to work like other smart lights. It has a built-in Wi-Fi adapter and connects to Alexa directly.
The LED light has a lifetime of over 22 years. It uses less energy and provides more light, as well. The LIFX reduces wastage and increases efficiency, which saves you a lot of money in the long run.
Best 3 of 10.
Best Dimmer Smart Home Lighting
GE Enbrighten Smart Light Dimmer
Daybetter Smart WiFi App Control Led Strip Lights Work with Alexa Google Assistant -16.4 feet
- 3 ways to controll the led strip light: ① Download the App Magic Home you can adjust brightness, change colors, turn on/off the Rgb Led strip ② Comes with sensitive built-in mic in the controller switch, lights will pulsate and change colors along with the environmental sound and music.③ Use the 24 keys remote to change and control the light strip
- Work with Alexa Google Assistant: This light strip come with a high sensitivity mic, smart strip syncs with music and ambient sound. The Led rope light is a prefect choice for mood lighting and so on
- Wifi controller: Use the Magic Home App to turn on or change your lights strips color. The Wifi remote controller only work on 2.4G network
- Timer setting: You can use the Led strip lights to set a timer for chrilden's room
- Decoration: Daybetter color changing Led lights strip is a perfect house ornament, transforms your living room, bedroom, home, kitchen, ceiling, back of TV, desk, stairs and more with colored lights
- It can be set up with regular lights.
- Works with Alexa and Google voice assistant.
- Works with other devices as well.
- Easy to install.
When you already have expensive LED lights set up in your home, that is not smart. You can opt to use the GE smart light dimmer to enable you to control them. They provide an easy and cheap way to keep yourself from replacing your existing lights.
The GE smart light dimmer is compatible with Alexa and Google smart assistant. You can control them using your voice only if they are connected to a Z-wave certified Hub.
Once installed, it provides a wide range of versatile options to control your lights. It can be easily set up as an in-wall switch with a neutral wire. Once set up, it can turn the light on or off, adjust the brightness of the light, and even create schedules for the light.
It can even be used for other appliances like the thermostat and fans. You can control all these from your phone if it is connected to a compatible hub.
Best 4 of 10.
Best Energy Saving Smart Home Lighting
Sengled Smart LED Starter Kit
Treatlife Smart Light Bulbs 4 Pack, Music Sync Color Changing Light Bulbs, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, A19 LED Dimmable 9W 800 Lumen Smart Bulb for Party Decoration, Smart Home Lighting
$29.99 in stock
- [Smart APP Remote Control]: 2.4GHz Wi-Fi Only (not 5GHz). Control your light bulbs from anywhere at anytime with the free app.Automating your smart lights on or off to make it seem like someone is at home, even when you are away.
- [Hands Free Voice Control]: Get hands-free control of your led light bulb with your voice via Amazon Alexa and Google Home Assistant. Perfect for the times when your hands are full or entering a dark room,just give a simple voice command to turn on your home lights,like”Alexa,turn on my Christmas lights".“Hey google,dim the led lights to 80%”
- [Multicolor and Tunable White]: Dimmable 16 million colors and warm to cool whites (2700K-6500K). Create your favorite light effects and adjust the brightness as needed. Great for holiday decorations,like Halloween decorations,Christmas decorations,Thanksgiving,birthday parties,ect. Treatlife smart bulb provide you with endless lighting possibilities.
- [Schedule and Group Control]: Use timer or schedules to set your color changing light bulb to automatically turn on and off whenever you want, such as waking up with a soft glow in the morning with sunrise offset.You can also share devices, create the groups to control all your lights at once at the same time.
- [Multi-scene Purposes]: With preset 8 scene modes, you can free to DIY your ideal lighting effects to achieve the perfect atmosphere for various occasions, including movie night, cocktail party, reading, meeting, leisure, etc. Smart led light bulbs make your life more colorful.
- Includes everything you need to get started.
- Super inexpensive.
- It can be dimmed, scheduled, and voice-controlled.
- Great energy saver.
We know that price is a major factor when shopping for smart home devices. Sengled Smart LED starter kit is a great alternative to Philips Hue, which may be too expensive for everyday consumers.
As you might give already guessed, since it is so inexpensive, the features are not that great. The scheduling system of the app is not the best. The light colour is not changeable, as well.
The starter kit includes everything you need to set up a network of functioning smart lighting. The Sengled Smart LED Starter Kit is the best smart light starter kit for under $50. There are a lot of variations of the starter pack starting from one with two bulbs, one hub, and one power adapter.
Once you set up your entire array of smart lights and connect them to the hub, you can control them using Alexa and Google smart assistants from the Sengled app.
The Sengled app lets you monitor the electricity usage of your lights from your phone. You can see that they are energy-efficient and saves you a lot of money.
Best 5 of 10.
Best Energy Saving Smart Home Lighting
Sengled Smart LED A19 Bulb
C by GE A19 Smart LED Bulbs - A19 Soft White Light Bulbs, 2-Pack, Smart Light Bulb Works with Alexa and Google Home, Bluetooth Light Bulbs, Warm White LED Light Bulbs
7 used from $10.99
- Upgrade your smart home: Light bulbs from C by GE paired with a Cync or C by GE smart plug enables out of home app control for your devices. Add voice control by enabling your Alexa voice assistant (plug and Alexa sold separately).
- Control your smart bulbs away from home: With C by GE smart LED bulbs, never come home to a dark house. Pair your C by GE smart light bulbs with Cync or C by GE smart plugs in the Cync mobile app to control your bulbs when you're not at home.
- Enable voice control for hands-free control of your smart bulbs: Pair the C by GE smart lights with Cync or C by GE smart plugs in the Cync mobile app to create smart bulbs that work with Alexa and Google Home. (Voice assistant and plug sold separately)
- Modernize traditional fixtures with smart light bulbs: The C by GE A19 white light bulb fits medium base sockets in open fixtures designed for traditional 60-watt incandescent A19 bulbs and helps make your house a smart home.
- LED light bulbs with optimal daytime light: The C by GE smart LED light bulbs offer dimmable warm, soft white light that feels just right. The warm white LED light bulbs easily create the perfect lighting for any room.
- It can be connected to any compatible hubs.
- An inexpensive way to put smart home lighting in your home.
- Very easy to set up using the QR code.
- Saves a lot of energy.
If you already have a hub for Sengled LED smart bulbs, you can buy bulb packs without any problem. One Sengled hub can connect with 64 Sengled Smart LED bulbs.
Sengled provides an inexpensive way to change all your existing home lighting into smart home lighting. You convert your entire home without breaking the bank.
It is possible to set up individual smart bulbs without the hub as well. To do so, first, you need to scan the QR code on the bulb then install it in the socket. After that, power the bulb, and you can control it from your phone.
The lights can also connect directly to other compatible hubs, as well. You do not specifically need the Sengled Smart Hub to control these lights. For example, you can connect it to Alexa devices with built-in hubs and control them using the Alexa app.
Best 6 of 10.
Best Switch Smart Home Lighting
TP-Link Kasa (HS200) Smart Light Switch
Smart WiFi Light Bulb, LED RGB Color Changing, Compatible with Alexa and Google Home Assistant, No Hub Required, A19 E26 Multicolor LUMIMAN 2 Pack
- 【Sync to Music】disco light bulb has 16 million colors, color changing with the music rhythm，a brilliant gift of Halloween and Christmas.
- 【Remote Control】group control multiple bulbs with Plusminus APP whether you are home or away
- 【Voice Control】works with Alexa, Echo dot and Google Assistant for voice control,no hub required. (e.g. ‘Alexa, set the bedroom to purple’)
- 【Schedule/Timer】set timer if you always forget to switch off the color changing light bulb
- 【Customize Scenes】every color is dimmable and tunable, bright enough, you can set your preference mode
- It is really easy to install and use.
- It can be controlled using voice assistants.
- The switch is simple and stylish.
- It does not require a hub to function.
The TP-Link Kasa (HS200) is an in-wall smart light switch that does not only work well but looks good as well. One or multiple light bulbs can be connected to the switch at once.
Even though it is meant for lights, it can be used for other smart and non-smart devices as well. Just connect the switch to the Kasa app, and you can control whatever the switch is connected to remotely.
The switch works with Alexa, Google smart assistant, and Cortana as well. You can control the switch using your voice from anywhere with the help of virtual assistants.
Note that the Kasa (HS200) requires a neutral wire and a Wi-Fi connection to function. It can be used as a normal rocker switch as well if you want.
The switch is very stylish and aesthetic. It is simple and elegant, composed of a rocker switch that stretches to the borders of the whole switch.
Best 7 of 10.
Best Budget Starter Kit Smart Home Lighting
THIRDREALITY Smart LED Light Bulbs Starter Kit
Philips Hue White A19 60W Equivalent LED Smart Bulb Starter Kit (4 A19 White Bulbs and 1 Hub Compatible with Amazon Alexa Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant)
2 used from $79.00
- VOICE ACTIVATED: The Philips Hue White 4-Pack Smart Bulb Starter Kit works with Alexa for voice control (smart hub required and included, Alexa device sold separately)
- AUTOMATE YOUR SMART HOME: Enhance your home with soft white smart lighting, controlled remotely wherever you are. Automate your lighting experience with the Philips Hue App, and ensure you never come home to a dark house
- TAKE CONTROL: Each kit contains 4 Philips Hue White A19 60W Energy Star Certified LED Smart bulbs (able to fit most lamps, overhead lights, and 4-inch recessed cans ); Philips Hue Hub that can reliably control up to 50 Hue lights without slowing your WiFi; three-year warrantee
- EASY INSTALLATION: To install, simply screw the smart bulbs into your desired smart light location, download the Hue mobile app and pair your Hue Hub. Control smart-bulb-equipped lamps and overhead lights via the Philips Hue App
- EXPAND YOUR PHILIPS HUE ECOSYSTEM: Easily expand your lighting system with hue accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor
- The colour and brightness of the bulbs can be controlled.
- The starter kit is inexpensive.
- The hub can be connected to an Echo Dot simultaneously.
- It has a really low operating cost.
Third Reality is a relatively new player in the market. Nevertheless, its budget starter pack has everything you need to get your smart lighting set up in your home.
The Smart LED light bulb starter kit consists of two bulbs and one hub. They work with your voice assistants to enable voice control over the lights. The Third Reality Hub gives you the versatility of powering the hub and your Echo Dot (3rd gen) with a single power brick.
The smart bulbs are dimmable and controllable from your phone using the Third Reality Smart Bulb app. However, they do not work with other standard dimmers. Considering there are built-in dimmers and colour temperature controllers in the bulbs, you do not need external dimmers.
The LED light bulbs have the power of up to 800 lumens utilizing an 8W supply. The lights save a lot of energy and have an operating cost that is seven times lower than other similar incandescent bulbs.
Best 8 of 10.
Best Budget Bulb Smart Home Lighting
Etekcity Smart Light Bulb
Lutron Caseta Smart Home Plug-in Lamp Dimmer Switch and Pico Remote Kit, Works with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and The Google Assistant | P-PKG1P-WH | White
$49.95 in stock
2 used from $46.55
- PEACE OF MIND: Set lights to automatically adjust with changing seasons so your family always comes back to a well-lit home; Use Smart Away to randomly turn your lights on/off to look like you’re home when you're away (smart bridge, L-BDG2-WH, required)
- MOST CONNECTED: Caseta connects with more leading smart home devices – including Alexa, Apple HomeKit, the Google Assistant, Serena shades and Sonos – than any other smart lighting control brand (smart bridge required)
- CONTROL YOUR WAY: Caseta puts the smarts in the switch so you can control your lights your way – the free app, your voice, or from the wall. Schedule lights to change at set times, or activate lighting scenes with the touch of a button (bridge required)
- GET MORE, SPEND LESS: 1 Caseta smart switch can control many bulbs at once; Make many bulbs smart, even your existing bulbs; Get smart control of multiple styles of dimmable LED, incandescent and halogen bulbs
- SMART CONTROL OF PLUGIN LAMPS: Simply plugs into a standard outlet and can be used with up to 2 floor or table lamps
- The smart bulb is dimmable using the app.
- It is compatible with Alexa and Google Smart Assistant.
- You can save your favourite settings.
- It lasts a long time.
- It is very cheap.
Bulbs are known to get overheated quickly and easily. Etekcity brings a new smart light bulb that solves the heat problem. The bulb’s base is made from Ceramic, and it dissipates heat very efficiently. However, the ceramic base makes it a bit heavier than normal LED light bulbs.
The efficient heat dissipation system greatly increases the lifetime of the bulb. It has an estimated lifespan of 15,000 hours and is cheap, as well. Etekcity also provides a 1-year buyer’s assurance and lifetime customer support for buyers.
The Etekcity smart light bulb supports voice command, as well. You can ask Alexa or Google smart assistant to dim, brighten or power the bulbs remotely when you are away from your home. You can save your favourite setting on the bulb and ask your voice assistant to select that setting as well.
The Bulb has the shape of A19 and a power of 9W. It provides light like a 60W incandescent bulb using 9W and 120 Volts only. It works with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network connections.
Best 9 of 10.
Best Hub less Smart Home Lighting
TP-Link Smart LED Light Bulb (LB100)
OHLUX 20W Smart WiFi LED Flood Lights Work with Alexa Google Home, 2700K-6500K, RGBCW Color Changing Stage Lamp for Outdoor Landscape, IP66 Waterproof Multicolor Wall Washer Light, 2Pack
- 【Voice Control】 Easy voice control outdoor smart flood light via integration with Amazon Alexa Echo、google assistant, Ex, you can say, "Alexa set the garden to blue.(Note:The distance between the light and WiFi should be less than 15 meters)Customer mostly use in Wall, Garden, Porch, Garage, Roof, Livingroom, Bedroom for Halloween Christmas Decoration
- 【App Remote Control】 Keep connecting this wifi flood light with your home network (only supports 2.4GHz Wifi), you can remotely control exterior light from thousands miles away
- 【Timing And Group Control】 The timer function enables smart led light power on and off automatically, Time Setting for Sunset, sunrise，Group control function allows you to control more lighting at the same time
- 【RGBCW Multi-Color And Dimmable Brightness】 RGB+ Cool white + Warm white Choose What Color You Want with 16 million colors and the brightness of every color is dimmable The light brightness can be fixed percentages from 1% - 100% output. Never come home to a dark house - by using light schedules on the 'Smart Life' app and be greeted with warm light
- 【Weather Ressitant and 90 Days Free Trial】 Featured with IP66 waterproof rating and better heating diffusion, to ensure stable performance under most weather conditions. Provide perfect ambient lighting for most indoor and outdoor festive events , 20W 2000LM flood light, equivalent to 60W normal flood light, Last longer and energy saver: Approximately 50,000 working hours.if you need support, please feel free to contact us on Amazon directly.
- It does not require a hub to work.
- Can connect to your Wi-Fi directly.
- It can be controlled using voice assistants or your smartphone.
- Controllable even when away from home.
TP-Link is the world’s number one Wi-Fi brand, and that is no secret. It will come as no surprise when you hear that their lights work with any 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi router.
Many people find hubs a pain to set up and get it to work. Sometimes you need to buy a hub besides your bulbs to get them up and to run. Well, the TP-Link Smart LED light bulb does not require a hub to work. The individual lights have built-in integrated wireless networking systems, so it does not require a hub to connect to your internet router.
After you connect it to the Kasa app, all TP-Link Smart Lights can be controlled using voice assistants or your phone, as well. You can control them from anywhere, even when you are away from home.
You can customize the brightness of the smart light bulbs and dim them to fit your mood. The bulb provides a brightness of up to 600 lumens.
Best 10 of 10.
Best Design Smart Home Lighting
Brizled Wi-Fi Smart Light Bulbs
Introducing Ring A19 Smart LED Bulb, White (Starter Kit: 4-pack)
$79.99 in stock
- Replaces standard A19 light bulbs – screw into your desired indoor or covered outdoor fixture and shine 800 lumens of light (60W equivalent brightness) where you need it most.
- Ring Bridge included – this Starter Kit includes a Ring Bridge so that you may enable smart features for your Ring Smart Lights.
- Smart features – when connected to a Ring Bridge, get mobile notifications, set schedules, turn lights on and off remotely, customize settings, and connect to other compatible Ring devices – all from the Ring app.
- Easy setup – screw into a compatible fixture, connect to the Ring Bridge, and customize your settings via the Ring app.
- Energy efficient, long-lasting LED bulb – the A19 Smart LED bulb has an estimated lifespan of 25,000 hours and an estimated yearly energy cost of $1.02 (based on 3 hrs/day, 11c/cWh). Cost depends on rates and use.
- The bulb can connect to your Wi-Fi directly.
- The unique shape of the bulb helps it stand out.
- You can control the bulb from anywhere.
- It is very durable.
- It saves a lot of energy and money.
Brizled is a relatively new company that was founded in 2008. However, it is striving for the future leader in smart home lighting products. With products like the Brizled Wi-Fi smart light bulb, they are on the right track.
The bulb has a unique cylindrical shape that is uncommon in this portion of the market. The light has more than 16 million colours, and you can control the intensity and brightness of every colour in the spectrum.
The Brizled Smart Light Bulbs are compatible with Echo and other voice assistants like Google home as well. You can control the bulbs remotely using the app and the voice assistants, even if you are in your office.
The bulb is more durable than an incandescent bulb. It lasts 30,000 hours and saves you a lot of money. It uses 80% less energy than a traditional incandescent bulb.
Lights are one of the most important parts when you want to set up your smart home. You want to get the right smart lights that fit your needs when getting them.
Our list for the best ten smart lightings is meant to help you relieve your needs and so that you can get the right one for you.