The Best Eight Smart Home Door Locks
The best Eight Smart Home Door Locks Review and being Guide for 2021
Smart locks are life savers if you forget your keys at places. We all had had that moment when we forgot our keys and were locked outside. Well, those times are over, as more and more smart home devices are hitting the markets every day. Smart locks are here, and they make life so much easier.
How many times have you went to bed and remembered that you forgot to lock the front door? Now, with a simple tap or a straightforward voice command, you can lock your doors and have a good night’s sleep.
There are a lot of good smart door locks out there. We want you to get the best smart lock deals. To get the best smart home door locks, you need to look for specific criteria that the locks must fulfill. To make your life easier, we have produced a buying guide and reviewed the top smart home door locks for you.
Top 8 best Smart Home Door Lock: Our Picks and Recommendations
- Best Overall Smart Door lock: August Smart Lock Pro with Connect
- Best Touchscreen Smart Door lock: Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt Smart Lock
- Best Design Smart Door lock: Kwikset 910 Smart Home Door Lock
- Best Trusted Smart Door lock: August Smart Home Door Lock – Silver
- Best HomeKit Enabled Smart Door lock: August HomeKit enabled Smart Lock
- Best Door Lock App Smart Door lock: Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt Door Lock
- Best Alarm System Smart Door lock: Schlage Z-Wave Connect Deadbolt Smart Lock
- Best Budget Smart Door lock: August Smart Lock Pro 3rd generation
Things to Consider Before Buying Smart Home Door Locks
Here are a few things you should consider before buying your smart home door lock.
How you want to interact with your lock is one of the main criteria you need to look into when you buy a smart door lock. Most locks open with voice control or from your smartphone. Some can be opened with your fingerprint or code. There are a few locks that recognize when you are near and can only be unlocked by you, so there is zero possibility of break-ins.
- Connection Protocol
There are three standard connection protocols for door locks in use. They are Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and Z-wave. There are advantages and disadvantages to all three protocols.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth locks consume less battery power than Wi-Fi and Z-Wave ones. On Bluetooth locks, the batteries last over a year. The main set back of Bluetooth locks is the connectivity length. You can control your locks when you are in your home or near your home only.
- Wi-Fi: Most smart home devices require a hub to work. However, Wi-Fi-connected door locks do not require hubs to work. You can upgrade from your Bluetooth lock to Wi-Fi with add-ons.
- Z-Wave: Z-Wave smart locks are better than other locks, but they require a hub to work. You need to have a hub or buy one to get them to work. You can control Z-Wave smart locks from anywhere you want.
- Retrofit add-ons
If you do not want to change your existing locks, you can get retrofit smart home door locks, as well. You can add these over your current locks and use them as smart locks.
The Best Eight Smart Home Door Lock Reviews
Best 1 of 8
Best Overall Smart Door lock
August Smart Lock Pro with Connect
- It comes with Connect that enables Wi-Fi compatibility.
- It can be used with existing single-cylinder deadbolt locks.
- You can keep your existing keys and hardware.
- Automatically locks the door when you leave.
- Automatically unlocks the door when you arrive.
- You can remotely control the lock using your voice as well.
Many people do not want to change their deadbolts and set up complex smart locks. The August Smart Lock Pro Connect is very easy to install by yourself. All you need is a screwdriver and instructions. You can keep your existing deadbolt lock and open the door using your keys, as well.
Now that it is settled that you can install this over your existing lock. Let us see what it is to offer as a leading smart home door lock.
With the August smart lock Pro installed, you can forget to lock your door all you want. It automatically locks your door when you leave the house and opens as you approach the door. To get this function running, all you need to do is install the August app on your phone and connect with your lock.
The August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge allows you to control the lock remotely from your phone and using Alexa or Google Assistant. Connect is a device that will enable your lock to use your Wi-Fi. Without it, your lock can not be controlled using Alexa or your smartphone.
Best 2 of 8
Best Touchscreen Smart Door lock
Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt Smart Lock
- It does not require smart home technologies to work.
- Has a built-in alarm system.
- It can be connected to smart hubs.
- It can be used as a fully functioning smart lock.
- Locks automatically after 30 seconds (can be set in settings).
Even if you are not a smart home device fan, this lock works just as well without home automation systems. However, if you want to use most of its features effectively, you need a smart hub.
The Schlage Connect does a lot even without the help of smart home techs. For example, it automatically locks after 30 seconds of being unlocked. It can hold up to 30 password codes so that it can be opened without keys. The touchscreen is smudge-proof so that any intruder can not read the numbers that are repeatedly pressed.
Schlage Connect has a built-in alarm system with the lock. It has three modes – activity, tamper, and forced entry. The alarms can be customized to alert you with what is happening to the lock.
The lock has a built-in Z-Wave connector so it can be connected to your smart home hub and used remotely. After it is connected to your smart home hub, you can control it using your phone or your voice (with Alexa) from anywhere you want.
Best 3 of 8
Best Design Smart Door lock
Kwikset 910 Smart Home Door Lock
- It has a backlit keypad for extra visibility.
- Uses Z-Wave to enable smart device features.
- Auto-lock option available after 30 seconds of unlocking.
- Uses the SmartThings app on the smartphone.
- SmartKey Security re-key feature is available.
The Kwikset 910 smart door lock has a unique design. It is a smart deadbolt lock with a backlit keypad. The backlit keypad helps with visibility when you are home late, and it is dark outside. The keypad has an individual lock button, which locks the door with a single tap.
The Kwikset 910 has an auto-lock function for people who tends to forget to lock their door behind them. You can program the clock to lock itself after 30 seconds of being unlocked automatically.
The lock uses Z-Wave to enable you to use its smart home features. The smart lock with Smart Home Connect technology enables you to control and check on the lock wirelessly from your phone. It uses the Smart Things app that enables you to use a wide array of features.
Smart Key Security allows you to easily re-key your lock. There are three simple steps you can follow to change the key that fits the lock without any expert’s help.
Best 4 of 8
Best Trusted Smart Door lock
August Smart Home Door Lock – Silver
- Auto door lock when you leave.
- The auto door unlocks when you arrive.
- Use your smartphone as a key.
- Send guest keys with the August app.
- With August Connect, you can access more Smart Features.
- Works with the existing deadbolt.
The August Smart Lock is August’s original trademark lock that kickstarted their journey. It still works just as good as it did when it started. Trusted by hundreds of thousands of users, it is one of the most simple and elegant smart locks on the market.
When you use August Smart Home Door Lock, your smartphone is your key so that you never have to face stressful situations again. The door locks itself when you leave your home. After a full day’s work, when you return home, the door unlocks itself when you approach it. You will never be locked outside your home ever again.
You can grant access to other people by sending them guest keys through your smartphone. You can grant access to them for an as long or limited time as you want. August ensures you never have to worry about lost keys anymore.
With the August Connect that can be bought separately, you can control the lock wirelessly and using voice assistants as well.
Best 5 of 8
Best HomeKit Enabled Smart Door lock
August HomeKit enabled Smart Lock
- Has an activity log.
- You can monitor who comes and when they came.
- You can assign special virtual keys to guests.
- It locks and unlocks automatically when you leave and arrive.
- It can be controlled with smartphones and voice assistants.
The August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled Smart Home Door Lock is August’s 2nd generation smart locks. They really stepped up their game with this new and improved smart door lock. The lock comes in two colors – Dark Gray and Silver.
The August Smart Lock 2.0 also retrofits with your existing deadbolt lock, as well. However, not all deadbolts are compatible with the smart lock, so be sure to check if it will fit your deadbolt before buying.
They made manually locking and unlocking the lock way easier than the previous version. The new grip pattern on the lock accomplishes this.
You can assign special virtual keys to everyone that has access to your home. With this feature, the app allows you to check an activity log to see who entered and exited your home. You will be able to check who entered and when they entered.
It retains the auto-unlock and locks feature of the original August Smart Lock. You can turn this option on or off according to your preference.
Using the August Connect and a smart hub, the lock can be connected to your Wi-Fi, and you can control it using Alexa and Google Assistant.
Best 6 of 8
Best Door Lock App Smart Door lock
Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt Door Lock
- It can be unlocked with keys as well.
- Has a touchscreen for access code usage.
- Uses the Schlage smartphone app to unlock and lock.
- Built-in advanced alarm system.
- Can be connected with a Wi-Fi adapter to unlock other smart features.
The Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt lock brings simplicity to the table for people that are not into tech but still want a smart home. You can operate the lock like other smart home locks and also like a normal lock as well.
The Schlage Sense can be unlocked using your smartphone with the Schlage app. If you are not a smartphone person, you can also use the touchscreen to enter access codes to unlock the door. And even if you love the old-school way, you can unlock it with a key.
The Sense has a built-in alarm system to alert you if there are any intruders trying to tamper with the lock. The lock can sense potential attacks on the door and will alarm you accordingly.
The lock can be connected to your Wi-Fi using the Schlage Sense Wi-Fi adapter. You can control the lock from anywhere using the Schlage app once it is connected to the internet. It is compatible with voice assistants also.
Best 7 of 8
Best Alarm System Smart Door lock
Schlage Z-Wave Connect Deadbolt Smart Lock
- Has a built-in alarm system to alert you.
- It can be opened even if you forget your keys.
- It can connect with your home automation systems.
- Can be controlled using your smartphone and Alexa or Google Assistants.
Schlage has been innovating locks for about a hundred years now. They are an experienced player in the game, and they mean business. With the Schlage Z-Wave Connect, they have combined all their best designed into one and created something extraordinary.
It has a touchscreen that allows you to open the lock without keys. You can forget your keys all you want now, as the touchscreen will never let you down. Time for being locked out of your home is long gone. The touchscreen is fingerprint-resistant so that intruders can not read pressed buttons.
The Schlage Connect can be unlocked using a key as well if that is more your style. You can use the touchscreen as a backup. The Z-Wave technology allows you to connect the lock to your home automation system so that you can use the lock from your smartphone or using voice assistants like Alexa and Google Smart Assistant.
It also has a built-in alarm system that alerts you when someone is trying to break-in. It senses pressure on the lock and sets off the alarm.
Best 8 of 8
Best Budget Smart Door lock
August Smart Lock Pro 3rd generation
- It can be installed with your existing deadbolt locks.
- You can still use your old keys to open the door.
- The August app lets you know if the door is locked or unlocked.
- Connect can be bought and installed separately whenever you want.
The August Smart Lock Pro can be bought as a stand-alone device without the Connect. It can accomplish a lot without the Connect as well.
It can automatically lock and unlock your door without the connect. This feature uses Bluetooth to track your phone and does not require the Connect.
The August Smart Lock Pro can be used with your existing deadbolt locks, so you do not need to replace them when you opt to use this. You can still use your key from the outside if you wish.
August has a unique feature that is not available in other locks. This feature tells you if your door is firmly locked or is it unlocked through the August app.
If you wish to use the Smart Features of the lock, you can always buy the connect separately whenever you want to. However, if you choose to buy it with the bundle offer, you can get it at a much lower price.
Smart Locks are an essential tool when you want to automate your home. They are very convenient and make life easier. However, many smart lock brands produce locks that provide hit-or-miss service.
The locks may work for your friend but fail to serve you. We have produced this list of best smart home door locks so that you do not fail to keep your house secure. Security is no joke, and we only want you to have the best door locks.